Underwritten by Aviva logo

Music teacher insurance

Music teacher insurance

Get a Quick Quote

Quick Quote

Select your equipment type (you can add more later)

Total Value


I just want Public Liability cover 

What is music teacher insurance?

Whether you teach music lessons from home, at a school or at a student’s house, you need insurance that is tailored to your needs. Our music teacher insurance is designed to protect you from a range of unexpected incidents including loss, theft and accidental damage, and we can fit your policy around your requirements.

Essentially, it gives you peace of mind to concentrate on what you do best - sharing your passion for music with your pupils.

Why do I need Public Liability insurance?

Public Liability insurance is essential if you teach music lessons in a school, tutor pupils from a home studio or other premises, or teach pupils in their own home. Consider it a stamp of professional approval.

Our Public Liability insurance protects you if you injure someone else, or cause damage to third-party property when teaching. After all, we know how easy it is for one of your students to trap their fingers in a music stand or a piano lid, or slip over and hold you responsible.

If a claim is made against you for these kind of instances, our Public Liability insurance for music teachers covers your legal liability and potential legal costs up to a value of £5 million. With our quick and easy online quote process, you can get instant cover and have your Public Liability insurance certificate sent straight to your phone.

This way, you can teach your students without worrying whether something could go wrong.

Why do I need Professional Indemnity insurance?

If you give advice to your pupils during lessons, you need Professional Indemnity insurance to protect your reputation and livelihood as a music teacher. Professional Indemnity covers your legal liability if you are deemed to have given negligent advice to a pupil.

Our Public Liability insurance includes FREE Professional Indemnity cover of up to £1 million.

Why do I need Instruments insurance?

You need Intruments insurance to avoid paying for repairs or replacements out of your own pocket if something happens to your instruments.

For example, during a lesson a student might pick up one of your instruments incorrectly and drop it, causing irreparable damage – it’s easily done. If this happens, we’ll repair your equipment or replace it on a new-for-old basis if it’s less than three years old and purchased new, under the terms of our Equipment cover.

What’s more, our Equipment cover includes the collective cost of all your teaching instruments and is really simple to arrange.

Why choose music teacher insurance from Insure4Music?

Specialist music teacher insurance from Insure4Music allows you to inspire the next generation of musical talent, safe in the knowledge that your professional reputation, your pupils, and any essential musical equipment are all protected.

Our Lowest Price Guarantee means you won’t find the same level of cover to match your needs for a better price elsewhere. You can tailor your policy and only pay for the cover you need.

Tear up the manuscript and choose Insure4Music to be instrumental in your music tuition. Get an instant quote now, or call 0800 0469 859 to speak to a member of our team and arrange the cover you need.

Why do music teachers need insurance?

Our tailor-made policies mean you can choose the cover that best suits you. Check out our checklist below to see what cover you might need as a music teacher.

  • 1 Do you teach music to your pupils at your home or premises? Public Liability cover
  • 2 Do you teach music at your pupils home or premises? Public Liability cover
  • 3 Do you give out advice to pupils during your lesson? Professional Indemnity cover
  • 4 Do you want to protect your own musical equipment used for teaching against theft, loss or accidental damage? Equipment cover
  • 5 Do you take your musical equipment out of your home and in your vehicle? Equipment cover
  • 6 Do you own more than one musical instrument for teaching? Equipment cover

For more information on why music teachers need specialist music insurance, read our blog >

Get an instant quote

Our music teacher case studies

For any private music teacher providing lessons at their home, the student's home, or at a third party studio or practice space, insurance is absolutely essential to make sure your business is protected. Read on for examples of customers who need music teacher insurance for a variety of different reasons.

Emily, the piano teacher

Emily is a secondary school music teacher and also teaches private piano lessons at evenings and weekends for all levels of ability and experience. She mainly uses her own home for lessons, but sometimes holds sessions in student’s homes if they have access to an appropriate piano there.

Emily's need for specialist music insurance

Emily realised that insurance was a necessity when she heard about an accident that happened at a fellow private music teacher’s home, during a lesson. The student slipped over a rug getting up from the piano and banged his head, resulting in a head injury, a concussion and an injury to his shoulder, which required physiotherapy. This incident resulted in a compensation claim being made by the student’s parents. Fortunately, this music teacher had insurance, which highlighted to Emily that she also needed it in order to safely operate as a private piano teacher.

She chose Public Liability insurance, which meant that if a student had an accident whilst being taught in Emily’s home, she was protected against potential claims by up to £5 million.

Greg, the violin teacher

Greg is a retired former professional musician, who has travelled widely and performed with orchestras all over the world. Now he has retired, he teaches a few lessons a week to supplement his income, to individuals and groups, and uses a room in a local community centre to teach the sessions.

Greg’s need for specialist music insurance

Despite having toured and travelled as a musician for years with various orchestras. Greg only became aware of the need for music teacher insurance for himself when the practice space manager, at the community centre where he holds his lessons, asked to see his Public Liability insurance certificate before they would confirm the bookings, in line with their protocol.

As he is looking into it, Greg realised that as well as the legal requirements, especially with the increased risk because he holds his lessons in a third-party space, music teacher insurance is essential to protect himself and his equipment (music stands, practice violin and spare bow/ strings etc) from theft or damage too.

Jay, the guitar teacher

Jay is in a rock band and has a part time job in a high street shop to supplement his income until the band is ready to turn pro. He teaches guitar lessons in student’s homes as a way to earn a bit more money and because he enjoys sharing his passion for music with other enthusiasts.

Jay’s need for specialist music insurance

Jay teaches his lessons in the student’s homes, so he quickly discovered he would need Public Liability insurance to make sure he was covered in case he inadvertently damaged property in someone’s’ home, or in case anyone had an accident whilst he was teaching them. As Jay teaches both acoustic and electric guitar lessons, he also carries quite a lot of equipment around with him, including instruments and amps. For this reason, Jay also chose Equipment cover on his music teacher insurance policy and Performance cover, so, if any of his equipment breaks down he can hire alternatives and still fulfil his teaching commitments in the meantime.

What our customers have to say about us...

Get an instant quote